Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Change

2009-2010 has been all kinds of big  changes. Moving out, moving to Maine (I can't believe I wasn't scared. I think about it now in retrospect, and I don't think I have the guts to roadtrip 3000 miles in 4 days ever again), finding a job, buying my first car, making new friends, adjusting to a completely different lifestyle, learning to cook things that don't come out of a box ...

I'm getting married in 3 weeks.
That's another big change. I don't think anything about my life would change other than my last name and the fact that I'd hold a DoD dependent ID card.

This time last year, I was making shake-n-bake chicken with rice pilaf.
Today I made steak in the oven (pan seared on a grill pan) and a food-gasmic chocolate cake from scratch. I still say the secret to a great moist cake is using cake flour instead of all-purpose. Well, that and I have my secret ingredients.

I've learned that recruiting duty = spending a lot of time alone.
I've learned that the Marine Corps in general = a lot of bull shit.
I've learned that PCSing = stress x 10.
I've also learned that there's a list about 5 miles long of things that won't kill me. Snow is one of them.

1 comment:

  1. 3 weeks, wow! While it doesn't seem like your life would change after marriage, it does so in ways you won't realize until after the fact -- mostly mental. Just another phase of growing up.

    ReplyDelete