Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Whole wheat ... are you trying to kill me?!

Since I’ve been down and out with the flu for the last week, and the entire state of Maine is still one big ice cube and running on a surface other than a treadmill is out of the question … I’ve been making some conscious decisions to eat a little healthier since I haven’t been able to work out (but I’m a pro at talking myself out of a workout…) , and husband has been mocking my low sodium, low fat, low sugar purchases since day one. He scoffed at my 12 grain bread from the bakery, frowned at the low-fat margarine, made a face at the whole wheat pasta and promptly asked if I was trying to kill him.

No, honey, I’m not trying to kill you. Yes, I bought juice instead of Mountain Dew. Yes, I bought fruit and vegetables in place of salty potato chips. But the 12 grain bread is much tastier than white bread as it is, and the whole wheat pasta tastes almost exactly the same. Different texture, but pasta is pasta.

Anyone else’s husband act a little bit like an overgrown child when it comes to healthier eating?

8 comments:

  1. That would be mine too. Until he realized if he doesn't start now, he won't be the active, healthy dad for his kids. (Totally his own perspective at the future).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband does do this sometimes, then other times he's all for it - it all depends on how far away a PT test is hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an Italian American, I absolutely detest the statement "Pasta is pasta"... it's not.

    I do eat whole wheat pasta though, and I like it, but it's really just not the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Yes, Yes!! My hubs has put on about 35-40lbs since returning to the states in August (He's 6'2" so lucky for him it hasnt made too much of a difference) and he likes to blame it on me & how much he likes my cooking... but every time I try and make healthy substitutions, he throws a hissy fit! Now I just don't tell him what hes eating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup Jake threw a fit! I told him that if he wanted to help me be healthy he had to suck it up because I do a lot for him

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the time my husband goes along with it. He figures as long as it tastes decent he is good. And it is always better than ship food. But some of the stuff he had to try before he would believe it was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is actually quite on board with healthy eating, actually will initiate it himself quite often. :) Which is good, because it helps me stay on track too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear, sometimes I think you're blogging about my life. I've been doing the exact same thing and those little healthy choices have helped me lose about 10 lbs without exercising, but you'd think I was killing Frank. And honestly, he'd never know the difference if I hadn't of made the mistake of telling him about a couple of the things or the colors being different!

    ReplyDelete