I still can't believe that in less than a year, we'll be on a plane heading for somewhere new. Drew is allowing me to choose the location we head to next (provided they have a slot for an E5 electrician) and unfortunately, nearly all Naval bases are out of the equation, because they have their own electricians. It might be possible to get stationed in say ... Naples, Italy if he applied as Admin. (And you can bet your ass that I squealed like a small child. It's really too bad that admin would likely kill his upward-moving career; because Taryn loves pasta. Taryn loves the idea of Europe. Taryn would absolutely learn Italian. Taryn would stalk the Jersey Shore crowd if'n they went back to Florence...)
We have officially put in a request to transfer to one of the following locations (in order of preference):
1. Marine Corps Detachment @ Fort George Meade, MD [halfway between D.C. & Baltimore]
2. Marine Barracks Washington D.C. @ 8th & I Streets, D.C. [15min from Capitol Hill]
3. Marine Corps Detachment @ Naval Air Station Oceana, VA [Virginia Beach]
4. MCB Kane'ohe Bay, HI [near Honolulu]
Please note: We did not put MCAS Miramar or MCB Camp Pendleton on the list.
We have at least 11 years left in the Marine Corps. I love SoCal -- but it'll break my heart to move a second time. Besides ... if I have an opportunity to live in D.C. ?? I'm taking it.
This is an exciting transition in our lives. I'm putting all my hopes and lucky stars on one of the 2 D.C. locations ... but the unfortunate truth is that space is limited and it's exceedingly tricky to get stationed there. But that doesn't really stop me from wishin' and hopin' and prayin'.
Now here's the crappy part: we've been anxiously anticipating this meeting with SgtMajor for what, 6 months? And now it's here and we likely won't have official orders until Jan or Feb of 2012. That's a long time to wait in my little mind.