Thursday, December 2, 2010

#reverb10: Days One and Two

If I want to be a writer: I need to start writing more often. As such, I think I'm going to participate in this year's #reberb10.



December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you? (Author: Gwen Bell)



FRUSTRATING.
I love my husband. I love that this year was completely consumed with the excitement of wedding details and officially tying the knot. But I lost sleep, I cried and I stressed out over things that I could not change. If I could do it all over? I'd absolutely go to Vegas and get married by Elvis, because here's what I've learned: family is a colossal pain in the butt sometimes. Between trying my damndest to find a middle ground on certain aspects, I found that family felt morally obligated to put their two cents in and bitch about something wedding related. Thank you, family on both sides: for making my life a living hell in the wedding planning process. Did the wedding turn out wonderfully? Yes. Was it everything I wanted? Yes. But I absolutely don't thank some of them for making me cry, stress out, and lose sleep. It was a frustrating push-and-pull. Unfortunately, Drew and I are from two totally different ends of the globe. If we'd gotten married in SoCal: everyone would have been grumpy. If we'd gotten married in the mid-Atlantic: people in Maine would have been grumpy. And since I got married in Maine: people in the mid-Atlantic were grumpy. Thank you to those that traveled the distance regardless, and to those of you that just couldn't be happy with any situation? It's really unfortunate that you're a glass-half-empty kind of person, because we had a great time.

The job situation is still disappointing.
I feel a little better knowing that I've had my resume and portfolio critiqued and that theoretically, I shouldn't have a problem landing a job. I feel frustrated that I've gone in for more than a dozen interviews and been a finalist for the singular job position at least 10 times ... but they always choose the other person, and I don't know why.

For 2011 ... I think the word FINALLY is going to sum it all up.
I will finally land a job in my field.
We will finally get a dog.
We will finally be a year away from finishing recruiting duty.
I will finally have all my ducks in a row: education, career, husband, my own little family.
I will finally pay off my student loans.
I will finally get back in the dressage saddle.
I will finally be absolutely, blissfully happy ... just like I was in college. Having just about everything you dreamed about will do that to you.

December 2 Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)

Honestly? I suffer from an innate ability to shy away from the things that are difficult to write about. IE: The Chowders at the magazine. In this section, a product or a person is chosen for the section, and it is my job as an intern, to come up with something snappy, that tells the story of what the product or person is ... in 25-30 words or less. I'll have you know that writing succinct and concise while still delivery a message is not as easy as it sounds, and I'd like to think that it's making me a better writer ... but honestly, the chowders are the things I save for last ... because I dislike feeling limited.

I've stopped looking for things to write articles about; I got such a high from sitting down with a cup of coffee listening to someone tell me their story. I got such a high from weaving the story based on my research and the interview notes.

Dear self: stop being the roadblock in your own way!!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog—I'm a new subscriber to yours! As for writing short snippets for a place or a product, use as many highly effective words and cut out those filler words like "the," "a," and "that." I wish we lived closer so I could help you out—I've grown to really like writing shorter pieces (and trust me, I'm extremely long-winded)!

    As for doing some on-the-spot reporting, it's not really possible where I live now, unfortunately. I'm hoping our next station will be better for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally jumping on board this train! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this, Taryn! I'm totally joining up!

    I loved reading this, and I totally agree, 2010 has been frustrating and I'm not terribly sad to see it go.

    ReplyDelete