Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Alum Afterthoughts

I chose to complete my higher education at Cal State Fullerton in the heart of Orange County, CA not because of it's proximity to my parents' home. If I was really shooting for proximity, I'd have gone to UC Irvine instead. As a Communications major, I wanted to be a journalist. I wanted the best possible education I could get; but unfortunately, I couldn't afford Columbia University in New York. I also doubt my 3.30 GPA was going to be enough to get me in.

So I investigated campuses closer to home. On my list was:

1. California State University, Fullerton
2. California State University, Northridge
3. San Diego State University
4. San Francisco State University
5. Arizona State University, Tempe   [but let's be honest ... I only applied to ASU because my then-boyfriend was stationed at Luke AFB near Phoenix. It was just pure luck that the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism was exceptional]

But the reason I chose CSUF? The department is one of the largest in the Western United States, one of the largest 3 in the nation and at the time, was ranked as one of the top 10 Departments of Communication in the country. The fact that CSUF is located in the center of the nation's second largest media market and the hub of television and film production and a mere 30 minutes drive time from my parents' home was just a perk. ;)

But now?
I don't think the department is what it used to be ... and I wonder what happened to the vigor, the enthusiasm.
It's disappointing, especially when I hold such high regard for the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment