Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Blog Challenge

Day 3: IF LIFE IS SO SHORT, WHY DO WE DO SO MANY THINGS WE DON'T LIKE AND LIKE SO MANY THINGS WE DON'T DO?

It can be a multitude of things, really. I love riding horses. I'd quit my day job if I honestly thought I could make a living on horseback, like my best friend from high school Karis does. (Jealous! Putting that business education to good use, too!)

But ... reality set in for me at some point. I owe a significant chunk of change for my student loan. Husband and I are hoping to buy a new bedroom set. We want to buy a bigger L-shaped desk for the office. Invest in a nice iMac desktop unit with which I can start playing around with Photoshop. We desperately want some new living room furniture, as the legs on the coffee table and end tables are about ready to blow out. I want to replace the cracked plastic bumper on my 2010 Toyota Corolla. And I would really like to get us 100% out of credit card debt in the next 3-4 years.

And somewhere in all of that financial madness ... the horseback riding? As much as I love it? Just takes a backseat. We'll call it a re-shuffling of priorities.

This summer, however ... Bristol starts her Foundations for Agility classes. I may not have the finances to ride, compete and train horses ... but I do have the ability to train my dog to do some spectacular things. And that's a fun substitute for me. It's not the same as riding, but it is working with an animal.


Day 4 ...WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE, WILL YOU HAVE SAID MORE THAN YOU HAVE DONE?

Absolutely not! I love that I've led a full life up to this point, with many more excursions to spare! I've played soccer and tennis. I've gone white water rafting. I've kayaked a Class 2. I've been mountain biking, made super easy by the trails right behind my parents' house. I've ridden horses. I've retrained a horse from hunter/jumper to Second Level dressage.  I've played the flute for 15 years, played in a  marching band, pep band, orchestra and wind ensemble. I've gone wakeboarding and waterskiing. I've spent almost an entire summer in an inner tube on a lake. I've known love, I've known loss. I've known happiness, I've known sadness. And this is all just scratching the surface.

My goal in life has nothing to do with a career aspiration or a dollar amount. My goal in life quite simply: is to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment