Tuesday, January 10, 2012

MilSpouse Quiz

1. How did you and your spouse meet? 
We met through a mutual friend at her home on base at Camp Pendleton in California. I distinctly remember that his response to his friends about me was "She's kinda cute". (KINDA ?!?! Freakin a, boy ... if you ever want to go out with me again you'll revise that statement.)


2. How old were you when you two met? 
I was 22 and he was 25.

  
3. How long have you been together? 
Our first date was in early December, but I don't think we became "official" until December 20, 2008. I remember the date because well .. it was the same day Drew had to go to the hospital for emergency surgery. Me showing up there definitely signified the start of something; you don't go to the hospital to be with someone you're only planning on being "casual" with.

4. Where are you and your spouse originally from? 
He was born in New Jersey, but lived most of his life in Bangor, ME. I was subsequently born in Baltimore, MD and moved to Foothill Ranch, CA in 1996 ... and had been there up until I met my husband. 

5. How did you feel about him joining the military?
He had already joined by the time that I met him, so I really didn't have a say in his "joining" per se. I was a little weary of getting involved with a Marine, though ... in Oceanside? Marines had a bad reputation for being players and all-around jerk offs. 


6. Where did your spouse go to Basic Training? 
Parris Island, SC.

7. Has your spouse ever been deployed?
Yes, although I wasn't with him when he deployed. I believe he's been to Iraq three times and one 2-year tour to Camp Iwakuni, Japan.

8. Ever been to his promotion ceremony? 
 Not yet ... but we're hoping he'll pick up Staff Sergeant (E-6) at the selection boards this coming October! 
    

9. How long have you been a military wife? 
15 months.

10. Did you marry him before or after he joined? 
After. We were married on October 10, 2010 after he had been in the USMC for 8 years. We were roughly 1.5 years into recruiting duty at that point.


11. How did your husband propose? 
Overlooking Niagara Falls on the observation deck. Apparently he had wanted to pop the question on the Maid of the Mist, but I was a bit like a human pinball and couldn't stay still for longer than 5 minutes.





12. Where did you get married? 
 At the Woodlands Club in Falmouth, Maine.

13. How old were you two when you got married? 
I was 24 and he was 27. 

14. Did he wear his uniform on his wedding day? 
Yes he did! I think he looked quite sharp; although I did concede and allow him to change out of the monkey suit and into a tux for our reception.

15. Where are you and your spouse currently stationed? 
Right now, we're on Recruiting Duty in Maine and there isn't a military installation near us for at least 100 miles.

16. Do you live on base? 
One day, we would like to. It's an experience that we want for ourselves ... even if the general consensus is that it's been a poor experience for most.

17. How long were you married when you had to go through your first separation? 
Considering we haven't been separated yet thanks to a non-deployable unit ? 15 months. 

18. What is your favorite base so far? 
I'm biased ... the only base I've actually been at with him was Camp Pendleton. Ask me this question in 10 years when I have more than one base and recruiting duty under my belt.

19. Do you think your spouse looks good in his uniform? 
Heck yes! I don't have any pictures of him in cammies or his Charlies, though...

20. Do you think military life is more advanced than civilian life? 
I don't think I like the word "Advanced" ... because the two lifestyles are like apples and oranges. I think the military life presents a heck of a lot more challenges, especially if your desire in life is to maintain a career of your own. It gets a little tough to hold down the fort if your husband is constantly away on training operations and deployments etc if you're simultaneously attempting to maintain a career and a family and a household. 

21. Do you like the benefits you receive as a military dependent? 
Absolutely. It makes it worth putting up with a lot of hassle.

22. Do you have a lot of military wife friends? 
Yes, I do. And the best part? I haven't even met half of them yet, thanks to milspouse specific forums. I think that even if we get sent to a location where I find it difficult or impossible to find a career for myself; at least misery loves company. I won't be half as miserable if I at least have friends to share my time with.

23. What is the hardest part of the military life? 
For me personally, it's the constant geographic upheaval. It took the better part of 2 years to really feel situation in a new state, with a new job and making new friends. And now we have less than 6 months here ... I'm not looking forward to repeating the process. In general, I like making and holding on to civilian friends, too. 

24. Do you own military wife stuff?
Nope. And I really don't plan on it.

25. Do you support your spouse as a member of the military? 
Absolutely! I 100% support whatever career path my husband chooses for himself. He enjoys what he does, so the territory that comes with it? It's just part of the routine. He respects my career as much as I respect his.

2 comments: