Friday, August 13, 2010

Home is Where the Heart Is

I am in for such a rude awakening: I hate moving. Seriously. I hated it when I was 10 and I hated it when I was 23. And Drew cracks up laughing and wags his head, and I know why. I mean really, if I expect his career in the military to be sedentary, I'm kidding myself.

I don't know if the reason I'm homesick for CA is because that was where I grew up and went to school and went to college ... or if I'm homesick for pleasant weather, a booming economy and miles upon miles of beaches.

It takes me awhile to settle in, I think. I don't think I've really finished settling in here in Maine. And by the time all that happens, I have a gut feeling we'll be moving again.

Home isn't home to me until I've put roots down. I wonder, am I ever going to really have a "home" while Drew is in the military, or am I destined to be a wandering nomad ... pardon the bad phrasing, but "like a man without a homeland."

Don't get me wrong, it's kind of neat to see a bunch of places I wouldn't otherwise have a chance to see ... but at some point, I'd like to cease the constant stream of moving and just ... make a permanent home somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment