Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The most God-awful thing ...

Hi. I'm Taryn. I'm an animal lover. If things were my way? I'd likely fill my house with animals and not necessarily children (or maybe both if time and resources were on my side?). At one point in my life, my household consisted of 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, and 2 geckos. I'd have loved to toss a horse and a llama into the mix. (Why the llama? Because you don't often meet someone with a pet llama.)

Now that we have that out of the way...

I'm driving home from the restaurant yesterday, and I'm pulling on to the onramp, and out of the corner of my eye, my headlights flash on a little black cat. And wouldn't you know it, that damn cat leaps off the guardrail directly into my path. I braked and swerved, but to no avail.

I ran the little guy over at 40 miles an hour. And I slapped my hand over my mouth and gasped and quickly contemplated what I should do. I could pull over ... but there's no shoulder. And if I pull over, do I really want to get out and make sure I smushed the kitty dead? Not particularly.

The most God-awful thing to happen this week: was an animal lover that ran over a critter.
I saw someone's dead yellow lab on the shoulder of the highway on the drive home, too.
It was not a good day for household pets on the highway.

2 comments:

  1. Aw that's terrible!

    My mom hit a cat once and started freaking out. She literally said, "OMG did anyone see me? Should I get it out of the street?"

    Her reaction was quite hilarious!

    But sorry you had to hit one. :( I'm in the process of adopting two kittens and I'm sure I'll grow to be an animal lover too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not even imagine. I am a fellow animal lover and I was driving a back road the other night and right after a turn ran over a cat that was already in the middle of the road run over at least once. Whether it was completely gone or not, it was a miserable feeling knowing at the last minute that I ran something over. :(
    Try not to get too down on yourself, there was not much that you could do about it and it sounds like you did what you could. Just keep on loving all of the animals you can!

    ReplyDelete